III. Release From Bondage is Our Choice
We are created to enjoy friendship with God in His world. Our sin not only took us out of the perfect place He had created, it prevented God from enjoying His creation. Through the following passages, discover how God’s solution gave us an even better relationship with Him in this life.
- What does Christ set free from the bondage of decay? (Romans 8:19-23)
- What did Jesus have to share in to set us free? (Hebrews 2:14-15)
- Since we are no longer slaves, what is our relationship to God? (Galatians 4:4-7)
- What does our freedom in Christ allow us to do? (Galatians 5:13-14)
- From the following passages note what things will not set us free from sin:
Romans 7:18, 24
In Christ, we have a new purpose in life. Instead of seeking the things of the world, which decay and which will eventually be destroyed, we are freed to serve others in love. This is a purpose that brings eternal rewards, and this work cannot be destroyed. The fruits of the labor of love cannot be taken away from us and it will not decay.
“For he who was a slave when he was called by the Lord is the Lord’s freedman; similarly, he who was a free man when he was called is Christ’s slave. You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of men” (1 Corinthians 7:22-23).
Freedom isn’t free; Jesus paid the price. We can use our freedom to return to bondage, or we can use our freedom to remain loyal to Jesus until He returns for us.
Key Question: How will you use your freedom in Christ?